Sunday, September 28, 2008

Journal #4

The demo on the Inspiration was very good. Nicole said that you could use this software for any subject which is nice. It appeared to be a tool to help the teacher prepare her/his lessons. I know during student teaching last fall, I was not aware that the school offered this software. I may have broken the copywrite laws but I downloaded geometric shapes from the Internet or copied them from homework sheets in order to create quizzes and tests. Coming from Corporate America where I was given all the tools that I needed to do my job, I thought that the process that I was following was quite outdated. Not being an in-service teacher myself, I would like to start me career teaching with an arsonel of new or up-to-date techniques that will minimize the time it takes to create the lesson and make the materials look more professional.


With so much discussion on blogs and Wikis I have finally taken the plunge and created a blog of my own. I choose the free one recommended by Will Richardson hosted by Google and followed the instructions for creating a blog. It was very simple to create. There are some features offered by the paid websites that I would like to consider when I am an in-service teacher, i.e.; Edublogs.org offers the ability to set permissions and access. That woud be very important to me as the teacher and to the parents, and other stakeholders in the children's welfare.


A Sunday School student of mine said that Wikipedia is not accurate. He said that there is a waiting line of 2 years in order to edit something on the website. I explained to him that there are these unofficial watchdogs that monitor the website and would go into the site on an almost instantaneous basis to make corrections. it does sound like an inefficient way to maintain the integrety of a source that is so highly utilized. I for one used it as a resource for a presentation that I had to make.

No comments: